23.1.20

Disabled Body Person with Abilities

  While there has been a long standing debate about what to call disabled people it has recently come to my attention that there are some disabled people who are requesting to be called able-bodied even though they are not. Being a disabled person myself and finding this face-palmingly stupid (though I understand where the anger is coming from), I think it is time to throw in my poorly written two cents.
  (Before I begin, I would like to say that every disabled person is different because they are, in fact, people, and therefore all have their own preference for what they would like to be called. If you are unsure, just ask them, and if you are uncomfortable or don't feel right doing so, then just refer to the person by name
  Also, most of my illnesses are invisible (which, no, does not make me "lucky" but that's something I'll tackle at a later date) though I do often need the aid of a cane so I will be writing this from my perspective as a mostly invisible illness person.)
  So! Disclaimer aside, let's get to it.
  I understand why a lot of people with disabilities want to disassociate with the term. It tends to bring to mind a helpless person and terms like "cripple", "handicapped" and "retarded" are just a few of the asinine ones that are still used to this day and are, to put it bluntly, really fucking insulting. I've also experienced the sort of babying that comes from someone seeing me as a helpless person and who has to do everything for me and that needs to stop. I may need help sometimes but you are not my mommy.
  I myself do not care if people call me disabled so long as it is not used in a cruel, mocking, or derogatory way and I often use it in reference to myself. It helps me to get some of the help I need (or as much as I can with the American health care system) and can get the message across quickly to others when necessary. What I have a problem with is when people only see me for my disability and use it to define me. My disabilities may greatly impact my life but they are not who I am. I am a creative person with likes and dislikes and hobbies who just happens to have a lot of health issues
  Now, there are outright disrespectful terms for each and every disability and it is necessary for these descriptions to be changed. I'm sure most people would rather their disability be called a "learning disability" rather than be called "retarded", or "brain-damaged".
  In regards to the disabled folk who wish to be called a "person with fill-in-the-blank disability" I feel this is more situation specific and has the same issue as Mormons now wanting to be referred to as "a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints". There are just too many damn syllables, it's too fucking hard to remember and because of that it probably won't stick in most peoples' minds so "disabled" will most likely remain the most common generic name.
  All that said, I think wanting to be called an able-bodied person when you are not able bodied is just fucking stupid and makes you sound like you're delusional or in denial.
  I think instead of arguing about what descriptor is right or wrong we would be better off showing people--both able bodied and disabled alike--that we are people, we can accomplish things, we can be nice or shitty just like anybody else, we are human. But don't call us fucking "inspirational" (again, a post for another time).
  So I'm wrapping this up here. If you disagree with me, feel free to come at me. I've got a cane and I'm not afraid to use it.

No comments:

Post a Comment